Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R -- revised opinion?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R -- revised opinion?
From: "Bob Naumann - W5OV" <W5OV@W5OV.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:14:25 -0600

EI5DI wrote:
"For either category, the technologies involved are irrelevant - subject to
them not being used to replace RF.  For SO, assistance from any technology
or operating skill, including 2R, is legitimate, so long as there is no
question of external assistance."

My questioning is where is the line drawn?  I have no problem with SO2R as
it is done today - for the most part.  Is it ok for a computer to work
stations on behalf of the operator and since it's not another human operator
it should be OK?

And, if I remember correctly, N6TR did have a contest robot operate a
contest many years ago with a degree of success.  With new high speed DSP
chips, even more sophisticated robots could be possible in a shack PC.
Should this not be considered assistance, just because the operator does not
breathe?

As I hinted at earlier, I don't know where the line should be drawn, but I
think we should think about it now, before it becomes an issue.

73,

Bob W5OV