[CQ-Contest] Short calls-the solution

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Short calls-the solution
From: n5nj@gte.net (Bob Naumann - N5NJ)
Date: Wed Dec 4 12:08:09 2002
Comments below:

> Maybe, but maybe not.  For instance, in the CQWW you are awarded multipliers
> according to zone and country.  If the zone you send (e.g., 1, 3, 4, 5) makes
> it clear which country you are in, then why require it?

You're correct here, but it sure would make it easier if you did identify where
you were in your callsign too.

>In the ARRL contest a station signing a callsign like N6VI and sending 599KW
>can't be pinned down.  Sure, if he's sending 599CA then it's easier.  But your
>suggestion has some logical flaws:

> if you sign NH7A, then how do we know you're not operating from somewhere in
> the USA?

That's the issue, if he's not in Hawaii, and in California, for example, he
should be signing W6/NH7A.

>Can we presume you are not in the USA DXCC location?  How would you like to
>have to send NH7A/NH7 through a contest --after all, NH7 really indicates USA.

It indicates Hawaii to me - and also to the FCC automatic call assignment
system.

>I could chuckle at the ARRL rule when a station calls me with a callsign from
>the KG4AAA block -- that's a USA 4th district callsign... does he have to sign
>KG4AAA/W4?

No, because only KG4** (2x2) calls are Guantanamo.

The reality here is that this happens so infrequently in contests that there
will likely be no new rule to address it.  Also, the FCC rules do not mandate
identifying in the way that it used to - which in my opinion was better, very
logical and added to the information conveyed in your callsign.  The likelihood
of the FCC changing to a more logical approach is extremely low, and we'll all
have to continue to live with this minor annoyance.

N5NJ