Re: [Amps] MFJ

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] MFJ
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 21:04:57 -0600
There is still a lot of broadcast FM transmitters in the US and worldwide using CPI/Eimac ceramic/metal tetrodes and triodes. Only need installs and stations with the bucks can afford to buy a new SS transmitter right now. Also, scientific market still depends on Eimac tubes, the larger ones. Fermilab in Chicago has a synchrotron with many 4CW150,000E equivalents. HAARP in Alaska has at least 96 transmitters that each have a pair of 4CX10,000D. Where I work, we buy Y847C, a glass HV switchtube, from them (a recent design BTW) and we buy klystrons from CPI as well. A lot of science labs use their klystrons. I agree that the smaller tubes, sub 2 kW varieties, are not selling as much, and the price has soared. I would not suggest CPI/Eimac is out of business.

73

John

K5PRO

Message: 1