Re: [Amps] MFJ

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] MFJ
From: Douglas L via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 16:52:41 -0400
Since virtually all broadcast transmitters and medical equipment has gone
solid state, we amateurs are about the only users of transmitting vacuum tubes.
With declining sales, prices have skyrocketed. Eimac division of Varian must be
nearly out of business. Of course by jacking up prices so much, they have
hastened their own decline.

The Chinese are the only ones making glass tubes like the 3-500Z, 811 and the
572B.
They’re also mailing most of the ceramic tubes like the 3CX800A7, even though
they’re pricing it at around $900. I suppose we should be thankful for them. 🙂

With the demise of Ameritron, as others have pointed out, there will be no
sources of linear amps under $3000.
73,
Doug/WA1TUT