Re: [Amps] MFJ

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] MFJ
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 21:16:59 -0700
On 4/25/2024 5:50 PM, AB2E Darrell wrote:
Bad news, MFJ is shutting down all production, all lines 17May, but will honor
all warranties and continue to service products.

Count me among those not sad to see them go. Based on a well-earned reputation for poor quality control and mediocre build quality, they've long known as Mighty Fine Junk. I've owned a few of their products; the one I used the most was their 259 Antenna Analyzer, whose designer, W8JI, posted detailed instructions online about how to do the final test calibration that MFJ failed to do. Many users of their products have talked about having to open stuff up and find all the cold solder joints.

Yes, they bought a lot of companies to "rescue" them, but the quality of every one went down. Yes, they made "affordable" power amps, but over the years, I bought three used Ten-Tec 425s, each for half the price of one of theirs, and they were a VASTLY superior amp. They were 20-30 years old when I bought them, I repaired them a few times, and got 15 years of heavy use (legal-limit, balls to the wall contesting on CW, SSB, and RTTY) out of them.

73, Jim K9YC