Re: [Amps] What to do about 'Neutral' in HB amp?

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] What to do about 'Neutral' in HB amp?
From: Roger Parsons via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 15:05:28 +0000 (UTC)
I am most grateful for the replies received both on the reflector and
individually. It seems I have to go into a bit more detail - sorry.

Firstly, I am indeed sure that the amplifier had neutral and ground
cross-connected as originally manufactured. I have sent a copy of the original
schematic to 'Goodguyham' who wanted 'proof', and would be happy to send it to
anybody else if necessary.

This particular amp is very obviously a prototype, and there are a number of
unusual features including a nightmarish mechanical design around the vacuum
variables. I have no idea whether it is similar or otherwise to the PT-2500 or
to other examples of the PT-3000.

The blower is 120V and has one side grounded and there is/was also an 'Agastat'
which appears to be a time delay relay intended to keep the blower on for 3
mins after the amp is switched off. The tube filament is powered from an
external DC power supply. I don't like either of these features. I have
replaced the blower which is now properly mounted, the Agastat had disappeared
before I got the amp, and I have found space for a filament transformer. It
would have been best to have obtained 240V versions on these items, but I
didn't.

I had firmly decided to use a four wire power connection, but must admit I have
been rather swayed by suggestions received, and I think I will now wire the
blower and filament transformer to the main power transformer centre tap. This
means that I have purchased and spent some effort wiring the 4 way receptacle
for nothing but hey!

(SOOW wire is just too thick for me to use. Making my own using heat shrink
could have been attractive, but I can't see how that could meet code or more
importantly actually be safe against abrasion.)

I have tried to summarise. There are a number of other factors which have
influenced my thinking but I'm sure many have had quite enough by this point.

73 Roger
VE3ZI