Re: [Amps] Need reliable source for ACOM2000A tubes GU74B?

To: "gudguyham@aol.com" <gudguyham@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Need reliable source for ACOM2000A tubes GU74B?
From: MU 4CX250B <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 11:18:37 -0800
I believe John is correct that all GU74b tetrodes date from the Soviet
era, whether used or NOS. I was fortunate enough to buy a dozen of
them for $360 when demand was still low. I ruined one them by applying
RF without first conditioning the tube. After that experience, I ran
the filaments for  a couple of days and cooked each  tube for several
hours with a 200-300W resting current, but no RF drive. All my spares
then worked fine at full output. I have run three of them in my hb
160/80m amplifier (2800V plate voltage, 340V screen voltage) for
several years and really like the tubes. They are stable and drive to
full output with a few watts. I use a passive 50 ohm attenuator on
their grids to provide a correct resistive match to my Flex xcvr. This
amp and all circuitry  and construction details are shown
on w8zr.net. (Sorry, but I’m keeping the tubes for spares and for
other projects.)
73,
Jim w8zr
Sent from my iPhone