Re: [Amps] Alpha 86

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 86
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 10:31:45 -0500
Drifting off topic but the 86 PIN diode failures can be avoided with correct
sequencing and high bias voltage on the Rx diodes. In the last generation of
Alpha 87A and 89 amps, I believe the Zener bias string reaches 900V, or close
to it.

The second issue is IMD.  Have a look at QST's product review of the Alpha 86
and you'll see the telltale sign that the Tx diodes are not going far enough
into conduction.   Easily solved without requiring vaccum relays.

Glenn would know for sure, but I'm guessing he's seen relatively few PIN diode
failures with late-generation (post 1999-2000) Alpha 87A and 89 amps.  The
Elecraft KPA1500 and RF-KIT amps both utilize PIN diode T/R switching and I've
not heard of any mass casualties to date.

Paul, W9AC