Re: [Amps] EIMAC vs Amperex 3-500

To: "john.keating@outlook.com" <john.keating@outlook.com>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] EIMAC vs Amperex 3-500
From: gudguyham--- via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 09:36:27 +0000 (UTC)
When you talk 200ma is that for one tube or two?  What mode are you figuring
on?  Using SSB (ICAS) peak grid current of 200ma per tube and 400ma for two is
no big deal.  The CCS rating on a 3-500 is about 125-150ma per tube.  That is
key down 24/7.  Therefore with an ICAS rating a peak of 200ma per tube is
nothing.  Unlike indirectly heated cathodes peak grid current over time isn’t
harmful.  Henry ran 3-500 tubes at high output by raising the plate voltage up
to 3800-4000 in their amps.  Raising the plate voltage lowers grid current.
The only thing that usually  destroys tubes like 811a/572b/3-500 which many
amateur amps have is over dissipation over time, not necessarily high peak grid
current.  A set of good 811a tubes used in SSB can tolerate around 1100 pep
output without compression.  That kind of power would be relegated to DX type
operation only!
Four 572b tubes can easily take 1 amp of plate current and 200mills of grid
current.  In a mono band high efficiency tank circuit that will give you
1600plus pep output.  That of course will be an ICAS rating.  Used in DXing
type SSB they don’t even show color at beyond 1600w pep.
Dissipation over time kills these tubes not grid current when the amp is
properly operated.  Too many people agonize over grid current. If you are
running RTTY or FT8 in a contest type mode then you’ll probably want to watch
the grid current more closely, but most likely not overheating the tube would
be more of a problem.

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS

On Friday, October 21, 2022, 9:30 PM, john.keating@outlook.com