[Amps] EIMAC vs Amperex 3-500

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] EIMAC vs Amperex 3-500
From: "john.keating@outlook.com" <john.keating@outlook.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 01:30:38 +0000
Spec sheets for these tubes appear identical. Yet they behave differently in my dual 3-500 amp. I can drive the Amperex at 90w for near-legal limit out (power gain of about 16x) without exceeding 200mA grid current; Plate current is just about 800mA for the pair. With the Eimacs, I can't exceed 75W drive without exceeding 200mA grid current (running about 720mA plate), and they do give the same 16x power amplification at that drive. At 90W drive, the Eimacs exceed the recommended grid current limit. Wondering if the amp brain trust can enlighten me on the difference and cause.

73, John / AI6LY