Re: [Amps] Western Electric

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Western Electric
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 23:24:57 -0700
On 3/22/2022 11:05 PM, ve3rwj@winsystem.org wrote:
Guys, it's a little off-topic, but while we are talking about audio gear, have any of you
played with the Heil "Parametric Receive Audio System"?

I have it on the desk here this week, and... I'm underwhelmed.

Also in the world of real pro audio, Bose has deservedly earned the reputation of "better sound through marketing." It fits Heil perfectly.

FWIW, I'm a Fellow of the AES, have been a member of the AES Standards Committee Working Group on Microphones for 30 years, and am still Vice-Chair of the Working Group on EMC. When I was active in the industry (about 40 years) I attended at least one AES Convention a year. I've yet to meet Bob Heil or anyone from his company, nor do I recall seeing a booth for his company. His claim to fame is as a rock and roll sound man for one or more big acts.

That RFI with the parametric is almost certainly a Pin One Problem, which the pro audio world had discovered in 1994 (by a ham) and most of the serious players in the 5-10 years that followed.

73, Jim K9YC