Re: [Amps] Testing Tubes with a Henry 2K

To: amps@contesting.com, Carl <km1h@jeremy.qozzy.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Testing Tubes with a Henry 2K
From: Donald Fox via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 17:14:07 +0000 (UTC)
 Re removing a plate cap for one of the tubes, that occurred to me. My concern
was could the grid on the disconnected tube be damaged by applying drive
without plate voltage? My worry there arises from being taught to never apply
drive to a tetrode that has filament/bias, and screen voltage present without
plate voltage. We are not working with a tetrode though!

I still think the dummy 3-500 socket sounds neat. Basically, a 75 watt
resistive load in place of one tube. Carl, if what you suggest will work, we
may have found a use for those gassy 3-500's we can't bring ourselves to part
with, because they look so stately. :0)

I have one of them here, with pretty red lettering, that glows a bright purple
when drive is applied.

Don