Re: [Amps] Alpha 87A Power Supply Question

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 87A Power Supply Question
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 17:19:53 -0700
On 5/4/2021 3:59 PM, Jim Garland wrote:
Our point of disagreement is whether we should connect the "third wire" in the amplifier power cord to N (my opinion) or to G (K9YC's opinion).

Hi Jim,

I'm not giving an OPINION. I am stating what the LAW says about it, namely the Electrical Code adopted by local Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJs), virtually all of which are either the National Electric Code (NEC) (which is a model prepared by a group of experts), or a local code which is very close to NEC. NEC is revised periodically (every three years, I think), and local codes may be one or two versions behind. Last I looked, California was a couple of versions behind.

The only condition in which a Green wire is permitted to carry load current or is permitted to be bonded to neutral is a "grandfathered" installation of an appliance that was done before the Code changed to prohibit it.

The only conditions in which it is permitted (and required) to bond Neutral to Green are 1) at the service entrance and 2) where a new SYSTEM is established by the addition of a transformer (and NOT an auto-transformer).

I just finished working with N0AX on the second edition of his ARRL book on the topic. Until I retired, I taught courses on Power and Grounding to contractors installing large scale sound and/or video systems, and was commissioned to write a "White Paper" on the topic.

http://k9yc.com/SurgeXPowerGround.pdf

73, Jim K9YC