Re: [Amps] Alpha 87A Power Supply Question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 87A Power Supply Question
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 16:44:53 -0400
That's certainly true for the 87A being discussed here and most modern amps.
However, some older amps like my Alpha 70 and 77 series have the blower
connected between L1 and the chassis where in those designs the chassis
functions as both neutral and ground because of the blower wiring error.
The fix is actually very easy when 4-wire service is available. Not so easy
when it's not.   Manufacturers did things like that back then.  Although not
strictly a NEC violation, that practice violates many local codes and
product wiring standards since the wiring fault is inside the product and
not the premise.

In the Alpha 70/77, the blower is in series with the HV primary by design
which causes the blower to increase its speed when the amp is under full
load.  If a 120VAC blower must be used and a neutral isn't available,
probably a better approach (like the Alpha 86) is to insert the blower
between L1 and a 240VAC primary transformer CT if it has one.

Paul, W9AC