Re: [Amps] Ferrite Core for 160M PI Output ?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ferrite Core for 160M PI Output ?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 09:44:36 -0700
On Tue,6/13/2017 7:52 AM, Chris Wilson wrote:
Just  how  conductive*IS*  ferrite anyway, i have never probed it.

It depends (a LOT) on the ferrite mix (usually expressed as a type #). Some are good enough conductors to measure with a VOM, others are very good insulators, the rest are "in between." We can learn a LOT from a careful study the Fair-Rite engineering catalog -- I did! You can download it as a pdf from the Fair-Rite website.

A tutorial on some aspects of ferrites (focusing on their use in common mode chokes) is part of k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf and key elements were added to the ARRL Handbook about six years ago.

73, Jim K9YC