Re: [Amps] Fan Noise in GS-35b Amplifiers

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fan Noise in GS-35b Amplifiers
From: Roger <roger@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 23:53:16 -0500
On 2/20/2014 9:59 AM, Jack C. Shutt wrote:
Yes, water cooling would be really neat!  I understand that the GS-35a version
of the tube has
a water-jacket, but you never see those for sale. I have seen some home brew examples for other tubes, but it might be a little difficult to build my own water-jacket and then.... how do you
 provide a water tight seal around the tube that will withstand the heat?

With that tube you could silver solder the jacket at the top and botton or put grooved rims for o-rings at top and bottom.

You still need a fan to cool the ceramic to metal seals.

  I suppose a simple
fish tank pump and some plastic tubing would work for coolant circulation and then maybe some sort of small radiator or cooling tank to dissipate the heat. Seems like it would work if the details
could be worked out.

It doesn't take a lot of flow, but I doubt a fish tank pump would have enough volume for the tube to run the legal limit. 5psi on 1/4" tubing should be sufficient, but I've not run the figures.IIRC that info may be in "The Handbook".

Don't forget the hoses/tubes in and out have to be long enough to keep the leakage current down. Typically both tubes are wound 3 or 4 turns on a form 1.5 or 2" form (or what ever is handy, larger than 1.5". You need little pressure so 1/4" Tygon tubing should be sufficient. Remember that distilled and deionized water really like brass fittings so shut the water off and let the system drain after cool down. With clear Tygon you can see any crud build up.

In systems that ran 24 X 7 we rarely made more than a year or two with brass hose barbs. I don't know which metal was dissolved, but the fittings took on a dull copper color and could be crushed easily between your thumb and forefinger. We usually discovered the problem when the connector failed and the hose blew off. These were 1/2" with about 60 psi IIRC. IOW, a failure was usually spectacular and messy. I don't remember any of them arcing though.

When I went started there we were moving into (I think) 3 main buildings. now it's grown a bit (43-26-08N X 84-09-53W) bout 3/4 of a sq mile. I don't even recognize anything...except the parking lot.

73

Roger (K8RI)

73,  Jack, W9GT