Re: [Amps] 3CX1500A7/8877 vs el cheapo GS-35B

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3CX1500A7/8877 vs el cheapo GS-35B
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 19:44:41 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 18:45:05 -0700, Mike wrote:

>Wha? No shield from input to output?
>
>Mike KC7NOA

REPLY:
Also, I firmly believe if you're going to mount the plate choke that close to
the anode(s) you should put a shield in between. There is parasitic capacitance
between the tube and the choke that could set up unwanted resonances. Even
without resonances, simple capacitive coupling between tube and choke will
induce currents you really don't want. In one of my earlier designs I burned
about a dozen turns on the choke just for that reason.

Better safe than sorry.

73, Bill W6WRT