Re: [Amps] Why do tubes cost so much?

To: <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Why do tubes cost so much?
From: "Hardy Landskov" <n7rt@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 18:46:32 -0700
Bill,
I was sticker shocked myself when I wanted to buy a replacement 3-1000. I
talked to a manager of Eimac in Salt Lake City who basically said the 3-1000
was on its way out and the tooling, time, and resources necessary to do a
run of 500 tubes made it manditory they jack up the price.
Look at any business model and there are fixed overhead expenses plus
materials. A 6AU6 made by the millions compared to a 3-1000 in a quantity of
500. This is economics at its root.
Thanks for your contributions over the years....
73 Hardy N7RT