Re: [Amps] LK500 various

To: Gudguyham@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] LK500 various
From: R L Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 06:01:30 -0700
On May 30, 2006, at 5:09 AM, Gudguyham@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/30/2006 7:19:24 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> r@somis.org writes:
>
> If you own the abode, plus you have  600v-rated 3-wire romex feeding
> a 120v outlet in the room, and you have an open slot in your circuit
> breaker box, adding a double-breaker with a 240v outlet is
> electrically do-able without pulling more wire.
> Unlikely, but possible.

3-conductors is enough to supply a 240v outlet and a 120v outlet
using the same pair of circuit breakers and the same 3-conductors   I
have been doing this for the past 31-years. If too much current is
drawn from either outlet, both breakers trip and everything shuts down

> Some newer homes might fit this possibility.

Any home with 3-conductor romex is do-able.

> A zealous electrician such as myself may have brought up a 12-3
> home run to one bedroom and split off the second circuit to the
> next adjacent room.  If this where the case, one could possibly
> find the outlet in the room where the 12-3 originates and could
> pick up the black and red wires there and install a 240 outlet at
> that point.

I would fasten a 240v 3-wire outlet on the opposite side of the stud
that holds the 120v 3-wire outlet and jumper the Gnd to the N on the
120v outlet. Also, when the conversion is done, red tape needs to be
wrapped around the ends of the white wire since it will be carrying
120vac.

As I see it, having two wires that carry zero current on a 240v
circuit is looneytunes.

> If done, it would be required to replace the separate breakers with
> a double pole breaker which has a tie bar between them.

Agreed, and it makes sense.

> Another thought is that some older homes may have had a separate
> 120v " home run" added to some outlet in the room (usually near a
> window) for an air conditioner.  If this 120v home run was
> dedicated to that outlet alone, it could be converted over to a
> 220v line with little effort.
>
> Also, homes with electric heat are a good source for a 220v line in
> that room, be sure to turn the T-stat off when running the amp so
> as not to overload the breaker.
>
> These 3 options are only "possibilities", your set up at home may
> not contain either in which case  a new line from your panel must
> be run.
>
> And we all know about running 220 (240v) lines properly by now :-)

Good electrical engineering and according to the latest NEC are not
necessarily the same thing.

R L MEASURES, AG6K. 805-386-3734
r@somis.org