Re: [Amps] LK500 various

To: Jeff Strailey <liveccam@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] LK500 various
From: R L Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 04:18:23 -0700
On May 29, 2006, at 3:45 PM, Jeff Strailey wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who replied privately and to the group.  The
> soft start module in my LK500ZB doesn't resemble the Harbach module
> in any way.  There were also other wiring changes that defy common
> sense like bringing the AC directly to the power switch and then
> the line fuses rather than the opposite which one would expect.  Me
> thinks I'm gonna deep six the mystery soft start module and return
> the AC input path to factory configuration.  Next step will be to
> buy the Harbach board and appropriate resistors for 120 volt
> operation.

The circuit at:
http://www.somis.org/D_a_01.jpg
is simple, does the job, and you probably already have the parts for it.
   If you want to do a circuit improvement, use the stock T/R relay
for step-start, add the high-speed switching modification and lessen
your chance of having a squirrel visitation.
http://www.somis.org/D-a-07B.jpg
   Other circuit improvements would be a lower-Q VHF suppressor and
removing the "neutralization" circuit, if it has one.

> My ears aren't deaf to those who said 220v only for the amp but it
> just isn't practical in this shack.

If you own the abode, plus you have  600v-rated 3-wire romex feeding
a 120v outlet in the room, and you have an open slot in your circuit
breaker box, adding a double-breaker with a 240v outlet is
electrically do-able without pulling more wire.

> I will very seldom use the amplifier, and every last watt isn't
> really that important.  Again many thanks to the members who've
> attemted to help me with this problem
>
>   73,
>
>   Jeff K6TLA

R L MEASURES, AG6K. 805-386-3734