[TowerTalk] Junk Coonectors (was Re: How lossy are PL-259s at HF?)

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Junk Coonectors (was Re: How lossy are PL-259s at HF?)
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2024 13:26:15 -0500
>I consider this a fool's errand. The only connectors or adapters I will buy at
>a hamfest are MIL-surplus or Amphenol-branded, and they're sold by individual
>hams.

I disagree because those female jacks will pass the test.  But, in
some cases one of those premium brand jacks will have been damaged by
banana plugs or some other insertion not intended for the jack's
design.  I buy with confidence only if they are brand new and sealed
in wrappers.

>When I got back on the air in 2003, I was ignorant of this issue with ham
>connectors, and bought a lot of adapters to fill my junk box. Over the next
>5-6 years, they caused me untold grief trouble-shooting the failures they
>>caused in my station.

Almost exactly the same thing happened here.  I went to RF Parts and
bought 50 Amphenol panel mount UHF jacks and went about replacing
inferior ones on stuff I had built plus one or two commercially
manufactured items.

To the original question:  Splices with decent connectors may cost
more than a new continuous run of feedline, and a continuous run is
probably better than splices, assuming the line is decent stuff.

Rob
K5UJ