[Xtreme-talk] Spreading the word...

Bob McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 10:23:05 PDT 2009

Doug Grant wrote:
> Thanks to new list subscriber Bob, N4HY, for spreading the word about
> the Xtreme categories to several more lists, mostly on the more
> technical side of the hobby.
>
> How many of you on this list now are actively considering an entry this fall?
>
> CW? SSB? Both?
>
> I want to start a list...
>
> 73,
>
> Doug K1DG

Both.   The CW side has been made much easier by Alex as I am sure
everyone is aware.  SSB therefore is stands to gain a lot from many
sited combining with additional work on top of all that Alex has done.
Alex and I both have diversity combining applications for Rocky and
FlexRadio PowerSDR.  In addition to this,  I have been developing for
years a means for using GPS to tame oscillators AND IN ADDITION,  using
these coherent oscillators and disparate antenna systems, radios, etc.
how to make them into a coherent processing system without anything like
synchronous timing signals between them.  I hope to use this, if not
this fall, next.  Rick Hambly (W2GPS),  Tom Clark (K3IO), and I have
been working together on this system since 2000 and we are "there at last".

Since I have received many inquiries, I will pass them along.  RTTY
seems like a completely natural fit for this class.  A totally automated
station with very high degree of confidence in making low error rate
QSO's seems possible.  Can we at least consider adding Xtreme class to
these contests next year?

I look forward to making an innovative entry this year and making a
really serious effort next year.  THANK YOU to CQ WW committee for
this.  Since  I operated N2NT in ARRL SSB a few years ago and W2GD on
160 two years ago, I have been unable to muster enough drive to "get
going" since I get to do radio all week long at work (and beyond).  This
is a neat thing to attempt so I am grateful for the motivation.

Bob
N4HY

--
(Co)Author: DttSP, Quiktrak, PowerSDR, GnuRadio
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.