[Xtreme-talk] Self-spotting

Doug Grant dougk1dg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 08:49:06 PDT 2009

OK...I have enough input now, and have decided that the Xtreme categories
will NOT allow self-spotting or asking others to spot you. Thanks for the
public and off-list comments.

It crosses the line, and the intent of the new categories is to encourage
innovation in combining the Internet and contesting, while observing
appropriate "etiquette".

Chat rooms are sort of a gray area. As long as the messages exchanged there
are not of the "self-spotting" nature, I think they are still fair game.

Examples:

"I am CQing on 1815.5 now"  - BAD

"Hey, K1DG - there is a BY calling you on 1815.5 now" - OK   (no different
from getting this info on the air)

"Who is the guy on 1815.5?" - OK  (no different from someone asking in a
pileup, and actually better since it creates no QRM)

"Hey, K1DG - you are QRMing the P5 on 1815.5! Please move a bit!" - OK  (no
different from getting this info on the air)

"Hey, K1DG - your frequency is really noisy here in Asia, you should move up
a little bit!" - OK (no different from getting this info on the air or from
a remote receiver)

I think we will need to re-evaluate this after the 2009 contest if chat
rooms get abused by Xtremers. I think anyone competing seriously cannot rely
entirely on chat rooms, so I think the risk is low.

Thanks and 73,

Doug K1DG