[Skimmertalk] Improvement of CPU consumption by RTTY Skimserv

N4ZR n4zr at comcast.net
Sat Jan 4 21:49:03 EST 2020

Before the RU started, I had CW Skimserv running on one receiver of the
RP-16, and RTTY Skimserv running on the other, both with 8 bands x 192
KHz  I forgot to rearrange the RTTY bands when the contest started,
although I did select the right Contest.ini contest.  What I wanted to
comment on is the much improved CPU performance I'm seeing, compared
with the last time I ran RTTY Skimserv in a contest.  Currently I have
339 decoders open on RTTY, and 444 spots in the last half hour. It's
running 63-67% CPU, with occasional excursions into the 70s.  Meanwhile,
CW is showing 410 decoders, with 340 spots in 30 minutes, and 6-8
percent CPU.

I don't know how to account for this improvement.  It is a new computer,
running Windows 10 pro.  The processor is an  Intel Core i5-8400 CPU @
2.80GHz, 2808 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s).  The machine has
16 GB of RAM and a 512 GB solid state drive, and the CPU has a passmark
of almost 12,000.  My old Skimmer machine has an AMD FX-8350 with a
passmark of almost 9,000, but there really is no comparison so far as
RTTY performance.

I'm wondering if others have had similar experience with the i5 or
similar, newer CPUs. Perhaps they are better adapted to running the RTTY
Skimserv code for some reason.

A postscript - I just cut the RTTY Skimserv back to 6 bands x 192KHz,
and it is now drawing 55-61 percent CPU with 401 decoders and 425 spots
in the last 30 minutes.

Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.