[Skimmertalk] [RBN-OPS] My Red Pitaya - The mystery continues

Dave Pascoe km3t at km3t.org
Fri Jun 14 14:03:36 EDT 2019

The separate Ethernet switch suggestion is a good one. However, I think there is some misleading information about Ethernet switches possibly being propagated here. There is no issue having your router, RP, and Skimmer Server on the same Ethernet switch, as long as the switch is a Gigabit Ethernet switch with a sufficient packet forwarding fabric. Not all Gigabit switches are created equal. :-) Besides, your Skimmer Server needs a path to the internet to send spots out.

Suggestions/notes:

1) Check the specs on your switch. Your Gigabit switch should be able to achieve 1,488,095 packets per second on each of its ports. If not, find another switch.
2) Your RP and Skimmer Server PC will only be stressing 2 ports on the switch - the ones they are attached to. The port connected to your router won’t be doing much.

Dave KM3T