[Skimmertalk] [RBN-OPS] Red Pitaya Hears but Skimserv doesn't spot

N4ZR n4zr at comcast.net
Thu Jun 13 17:23:45 EDT 2019

There's an old liberal arts saying - "when doing an experiment, always
change multiple variables at once."

That's what I did today.  First, I was suspicious of some software I
installed about the time my Skimsrv problem started.  It is a fairly
sophisticated system that manages your computer's contribution to the
Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI), by starting multiple
compute-intensive tasks (FFTs etc.) whenever you have not used your
computer for a while ("used" meaning entering keystrokes or
mouse-clicks).  It also relies heavily on the computer's GPU for
processing power.

I couldn't see any indication of negative interaction - my memory, CPU,
GPU and Ethernet numbers all seemed minimal (under 10 percent) - but I
decided to take the SETI software off my machine anyway.

About the same time I received an e-mail from Brad, W1BCC, suggesting
that there might be hidden issues with running 7 or 8 bands at 192 KHz,
so I cut back to 6 bands at 96 KHz (no change in CW segments).

With both these changes made, things immediately got better - in fact my
Red Pitaya is now running neck and neck with my QS1R again, as far as
decoders and number of spots.

So now it's time to try putting back bands and bandwidth, to see which
of my changes gets the credit.  Thanks to everyone who repled to my SOS.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.