[Skimmertalk] WSJT-X/FT8 skimming: high PC CPU utilization limiting count of spots

Jeff Blaine KeepWalking188 at ac0c.com
Sun Jul 28 16:53:50 EDT 2019

A better predictor of skimmer performance is found by looking at FPU
performance specifically.  Some of the otherwise high performing parts
(the older generation AMD parts which shared two CPU with one FPU cores
specifically) score well on the generic CPU tests but are abysmal
performers for skimming.

Fortunately any of the newer Intel or AMD parts are going to be fine.  I
run a 2700X amd here and even skimming RTTY in contest times I've never
seen CPU utilization more than 40% worst case.

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com