[Skimmertalk] beacons.csv and beacon spotting

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri Jan 19 17:33:26 EST 2018

The BEACONS.CSV file is used only by the RBN Aggregator; it's not part of
the VE3NEA skimmer software.  This file is automatically and periodically
downloaded from the Internet to the Aggregator installation directory from
a server, but I don't know where the server copy is located, or who
maintains it.  A number of VHF / UHF beacon callsigns are already listed
there, but* many VHF/UHF beacon callsigns above 146 Mhz were deleted
between my November 2017 copy and my January 2018 copy*.  Perhaps W3OA can
explain.

The format is just frequency (in whole kHz, no decimals) and callsign,
comma-separated.

1810,YR2TOP
1853,OK0EV
1875,DL3KR
145415,R3MAV

I don't see W6REK/B 28214.3 listed in the BEACONS.CSV file, yet this beacon is
being spotted <http://reversebeacon.net/dxsd1/dxsd1.php?f=0&c=w6rek/b&t=dx>
OK as
a Beacon (BCN) by the RBN, perhaps because the Aggregator treats anything
signing /B as a beacon even if it is not listed in BEACONS.CSV.