[Skimmertalk] Miniwhip Antenna questions

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Fri Feb 9 11:28:28 EST 2018

I just got one of those yesterday as well.  As I understand the theory of operation (same as other active voltage probe antennas) the antenna works against the grounded mounting mast or other conductor that's tied to a ground rod at the base.  Without that grounded element, it doesn't hear anything (and I've verified that with my Clifton Labs version).  The coax shield can serve as the grounded element, BUT you need to connect it to a ground rod underneath the antenna.  Otherwise it searches for ground all the way back to the shack and picks up lots of noise along the way.

I may be mounting mine to a wood fence post, and plan to use an F connector grounding block (commonly used for cable/satellite TV) tied to a ground rod underneath the antenna.

As to height above ground, I've heard different recommendations.  Jack Smith K4ZOA at Clifton Labs believed that 10 feet was plenty high enough.

73,
John
----