[Skimmertalk] wlan0 interface loosing connection on RedPitaya as soon CW Skimmer Server starts

dd5xx at web.de dd5xx at web.de
Wed Apr 11 13:51:08 EDT 2018

Hello everybody.

I know there are a lot of OM out there running a Red Pitaya as CW RBN Skimmer Server. I have an issue and cannot solve it, maybe you can test or even had the same experience and can give me some hints.

Setup:
I am running Alpine OS from Pavel Demin (http://pavel-demin.github.io/red-pitaya-notes/alpine) and I am using a direct ethernet cable (LAN connection).

Goal:
I want to replace the ethernet cable with a WiFi connection and remove the ethernet cable afterwards.

I have setup everything as explained on Pavels' HowTo and double-checked everything. I even tried with static IP adress for my WiFi interface. The RP connects as client to my WiFi router/AP and reaches the internet. But --> as soon as I start CW SkimSrv on a Windows PC within my LAN the WiFi connection drops and CW SkimSrv crashes. It's reproducable and I have no clue why this happens. I have tried three different USB WiFi dongles (all 150 MB/s 802.11n) and I also installed the latest SD card image from Pavel Demin.

I have done some troubleshooting:: eth0 has IP adress 192.168.1.100/24 and wlan0 has 172.16.1.123/24. My LAN at home uses 172.16.1.0/24 network and my Windows PC I am currently writing this message hast IP address 172.16.1.99/24. Red Pitaya is autostarting sdr_receiver_hpsdr on each boot. On my Windows PC I start CW SkimSrv with CWSL_Tee. At the same time in parallel I have connected my notebook (IP address 192.168.1.44/24) to Red Pitaya and I have a SSH session open to Red Pitaya. On my Window PC I start CW SkimSrv and immediately the permanent pings to 172.16.1.123 fail and CW SkimSrv brings the error "SDR Failure. Too many receivers selected". On the open SSH on my notebook I run "ifconfig" but I see that wlan0 still is present and active. At the time I run "ifconfig wlan0 down" my Windows PC brings the CW Skim Srv application pop up that the process crashed (violation error 0xblabla). This is reproduceable and happens only when using WiFi, on LAN I have no issues and everything works as expected. It happens when I use "CWSL_Tee" or direct "RP-xxxx-30 v25" Receiver selected in SkimmerServer v1.6

Anyone experiencing this and can provide a solution? Thanks to everyone in advance.

73
Saki, DD5XX