[Skimmertalk] 8 bands/CPU overload/NDB's

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri Oct 27 04:59:58 EDT 2017

Check the Windows 7 Power Management profile.  Set it to "Maximum
Performance."

>From https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/attention-boot-
camp-gamers-mbp-2011-update-7-28-2011-version-11-8.1197238/ :

"*Core Parking* is a Windows 7 feature that "stops" or "parks" cores of a
multicore processor when they are not in use. With some games, Windows will
mistakenly shut down a core or unevenly distribute load. Turning off Core
Parking forces Windows to evenly use all cores in your system. Beware, if
using Windows on battery power, this may have an adverse effect on battery
life."

As for NDB skimming, you could try listing all the NDB calls of interest in
the Watch.lst file:

%appdata%\Afreet\UserData\Watch.lst

But I don't know if this alone will work.  You may also have to edit
Patt3ch.lst as well as the .ini files to cover the NDB frequencies.

%appdata%\Afreet\Reference\patt3ch.lst

On Oct 26, 2017 10:22 PM, "Grant La Delle" <b748 at bigpond.com> wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks to Bob for the great news on 8 bands with the RP.

If it helps anyone else, my upgrade went ok, but I couldn't SSH in to my RP
after the upgrade. The RP had a steady amber LED.

I de powered for 20 seconds, same result.

Only after another de power, this time for 30 seconds, did my RP start
normally.

I am running CW Skimmer Server and Aggregator using Bootcamp and W7 on a
Mac Book Pro i5 3210M @ 2.5 Ghz with 4 GB of RAM. If I try 8 bands at once,
I get 'CPU overload'. 7 bands is ok.

According to the Skimmer Sever Status tab, the 'CPU overload' message seems
to occur at about 30% CPU load. The tab also indicates 4 CPU's are
installed.

However when I start Task Manager, it shows one CPU at about 90%, the
second CPU at about 50% and CPU's 3 and 4 about idle.

CW Skimmer Server does not appear to be using all 4 CPU's? Is there any way
I can enable that please?

Also, I am interested in decoding aviation Non Directional Beacons (NDB).
Will CW Skimmer Server and/or Aggregator show 3 letter callsigns, sent at
about 5 WPM, on my local PC? I think I might need a low pass filter.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

--
Regards, Grant. www.qrz.com/db/vk2gel