[Skimmertalk] Red Pitaya set up with N6TV's instructions

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Oct 4 16:27:32 EDT 2017

Congrats Wes!

Yes, the aluminum case needs cooling as well, but obviously it provides
better shielding than the plastic case.  Small 5V fans can be ordered from
Mouser at the same time that you order the Red Pitaya, though it's tricky
to connect the power cable inside (not much room left to get something on
the 2-pin header that supplies 5V).  I also had to drill some threaded
holes in the top center of the case (right into the heatsink) to mount the
fan.

As for ready-to-go SD cards, Pavel Demin has made new card images with an
improved operating system that fixes many of the limitations I reported
with his original images.  Unfortunately he's not using Ubuntu, the OS that
ships with the Red Pitaya.

Details here:

http://pavel-demin.github.io/red-pitaya-notes/alpine/

But if you already have everything working with Ubuntu, no need to start
over.