[Skimmertalk] A balanced Red-Pitaya-RBN-Station

dd5xx at web.de dd5xx at web.de
Mon Nov 27 05:58:35 EST 2017

Hi all,

I have a Red Pitaya with 14:1 impedance transformator from Bob, a pre-amp from SV1AFN and the well-known original active antenna "mini-whip" from PA0RDT. I wonder how you guys install such setups next to your transmitting station and how to realize the protection of that receiver.

My TX antenna (=5-band beam) is installed at 15 meters above ground level and for DX purposes I am using a 1.2kW amp. Let's say I would install the mini-whip at a height of 5m above ground and a horizontal distance of 20m to my TX ant. Won't the mini-whip get damaged in case I am transmitting with my radio at high power? I guess so because the mini-whip should be really sensitive and keep in mind that I am also using the pre-amp at Red Pitaya input.

So how do you guys handle that? Do you operate your skimmers on completely different locations where no transmitting occurs?

The Mini-Whip uses a kind of diplexer where it is fed with 12V DC, the power is supplied through the coaxial cable to the active antenna element. Would it be enough to implement a TX/RX relay that will power off (drop the 12V power supply for the mini whip) at the moment I am transmitting with my amateur radio station? Should I additionally protect the Red Pitaya input during a TX session just like HB9JCB described in his last post?

However ... in case I will be active on my radio station especially on contests, my skimmer mainly will not function because the TX/RX relay protection setup will disconnect the RX capability of the Red Pitaya all the time, right?

any suggestion appreciated. Looking forward to read your comments.

73
Saki, DD5XX