[Skimmertalk] 6m

Mark n2qt n2qt.va at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 12:25:43 EDT 2017

Hi Dave,

I'm using a soft rock 6M sdr with no preamp. Antenna is an M2 horizontal loop. I have a
home brew version of the array solutions RX overload protector.  I do not shut it down
when I transmit.  N6ev has a good write up on skimming 6M on the RBN webpage.

The key thing is to set for aggressive decoding and to load the watch list with known
beacons (with and without /B) to help overcome the slow decoding that aggressive
causes.  I use the aggregator to combine this with my qs1r on the lower bands.

Images are a problem with a setup like mine. I train the I/Q balance with a sig gen, then
turn I/Q learning off or it gets destroyed when I TX.  With a Dell internal sound card I
don't generally see images till the SN gets to about 40db.  Of course with a better sound
card and 192 kHz BW you can place many images out of band. My center freq is 50.064mhz
 so I am open to in-band images. I have also found it necessary to add frequency ignores
in aggregator to avoid known neighborhood birdies. I list versions of my call to avoid
and set the aggregator to avoid 1db sn decodes and calls that look like grid squares.

Mark. N2QT