[Skimmertalk] [RBN-OPS] false 6 meter spots

Mark n2qt n2qt.va at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 07:46:31 EDT 2017

It is harder to get good perceived performance on 6 than the other bands.

1. There is less band noise to cover up the spurs from chargers, Ethernet cables and the like.
2. We normally set to spot non Cq stations which means that criteria is no longer used to
     To determine who to spot
3. There are fewer stations to spot overall so the bad spots really stick out.
4. RX overload protectors can create IM that shows on 6m.

In my case I use a single band soft rock with CWSkimmer so it was easy to see the band
segments that had neighborhood spurs to block for decoding. I also use a 6m only
horizontal loop that cuts down on out of band signals. This sdr has a front end filter
that helps.
Using Aggressive decoding really cuts down the bad spots
Using Aggressive also makes it a lot harder for stations to be spotted so I created a watch
 list of beacon stations and other stations I'm interested in to help the decoding.

N6ev, Paul has a write up posted on the rbn site that gives these and other tips.

Mark. N2QT