[Skimmertalk] Couple of questions

David Robbins k1ttt at verizon.net
Tue Dec 20 07:37:10 EST 2016

I found even an i5 that handled cw skimmer server ok was unable to handle
rtty skimmer server.  I run the rtty skimmer server on an i7 box all by
itself and even then it can run out of resources on a contest weekend.

One important setup for the cw skimmer server that isn't on the gui and has
to be edited in the ini file is the CwSegments list.  that gives the parts
of each band that should be cw, I don't think it will create decoders out of
those ranges even if the bandwidth covers them.  for instance the default
for 192khz sample rate on 20m is 14000-14150, so ssb above 14150 should not
affect it.  since 160m is less differentiated that some other bands the
default segment for it is 1800-2000 so noise or ssb or am anywhere in the
band will create decoders, you might want to scale that back so it only
tries to decode below 1850 or 1840.

Rtty skimmer server has the band scope so you can see where it is decoding
and what the rtty segments are inside of the total bandwidth on each band.
That can be handy to spot noise also, but of course you can't listen to it.
on both my cw and rtty skimmer server boxes I always run through cwsl_tee so
I can startup hdsdr to actually look in detail at the waterfalls of all the
bands and listen to things to identify them either as a real signals or some
kind of noise.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net
AR-Cluster node: 145.69MHz or telnet://k1ttt.net:7373