[Skimmertalk] Couple of questions

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Dec 19 23:01:05 EST 2016

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 6:46 PM, W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu at w0mu.com> wrote:

> I have a QSR1 and have broadcast band filter on my antenna which currently
> is a Cushcraft R8 10-40m.  I am getting over 100 to 200 decoders on 160
> cw???  Is there something I need to do with the receiver to adjust the
> noise level or something?  I turned off 160 and then I started seeing
> decoders popping on 15m and the band is dead. I restarted the QSR1 and that
> seemed to stop the 15m issue but the 160 one continues to grow.

The best way to figure out what is causing all those decoders is to use CW
Skimmer, rather than Skimmer Server, so you can view and listen to every
signal the Skimmer is "seeing" and marking with a "decoder dot".  You can
view them on a waterfall display and listen to them on the PC speaker
output or headphones.

Chances are it's a just local noise source such as unshielded Ethernet
cables, a switching power supply, or broadcast harmonics generating many
carriers on the band.

As for RTTY Skimmer, you can run it on slower machines, and it should
gracefully scale back or "throttle" it's usage if there isn't enough
horsepower for it to create all of the required RTTY decoders.