[Skimmertalk] CW SKimmer with SDRPlay

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Oct 27 21:22:09 EDT 2015

I can't find anything on the HDSDR web site related to CW Skimmer or
Skimmer Server.

All I could find was this link:

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/how-to-setup-cwskimmer-with-an-rtl-sdr-and-hdsdr/

But at best, that may only work on a single band (which is all that CW
Skimmer can support).  See http://www.dxatlas.com/CWSkimmer .  This is
probably the only program that will work with the SDRPlay.

Skimmer Server is a different program by the same author.  It can scan
multiple bands at once, but only works with a limited set of SDRs, and they
are listed at http://www.dxatlas.com/SkimServer/.  The QS1R is still the
only one with sufficient FPGA to scan up to 7 bands at once.

The same author has yet another program, RTTY Skimmer Server.  See
http://www.dxatlas.com/RttySkimServ/ .

I think a Flex6700 can use CW Skimmer on multiple receivers, giving you 4
bands at once (but it's not using Skimmer Server).

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 6:15 PM, Frank Kirschner <frank at fkirschner.net>
wrote:

> The prior discussion mentions Skimmer Server.  Is that the same as CW
> Skimmer?  Also, it seems that the configuration discussed is having the
> SDRs receiving off the air, rather than from the IF of a receiver.  Would
> that make any difference?
>
> I'm obviously not very well versed in the Skimmer jargon and usage.
>
> Frank
>
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 8:03 PM, Bob Wilson, N6TV <n6tv at arrl.net> wrote:
>
>> Frank,
>>
>> This was already discussed just 12 days ago.
>>
>> Please see
>> http://dayton.contesting.com/pipermail/skimmertalk/2015-October/001573.html
>>
>> 73,
>> Bob, N6TV
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 4:10 PM, Frank Kirschner <kirschne at erols.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I recently purchased an SDRPlay unit, mostly for VHF listening upstairs,
>>> away from the shack.  It offers a much wider bandwidth than my current
>>> LP-PAN/emu0202 combination.  Has anyone gotten the SDRPlay to work with
>>> CW
>>> Skimmer?  I use an FTdx5000 as the rig.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Frank