[Skimmertalk] Current SDR choices for CW skimmer?

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Thu Oct 15 16:56:28 EDT 2015

Hi Prasad - thanks for bringing this up - I hadn't heard about it
before.  At a first glance at the specs and description, I don't think
it will work with Skimmer Server, because Skimmer Server uses a Field
Programmable Gate Array of some considerable size to simulate the
individual receivers. It looks as if perhaps, W3OA might be able to
modify his SkimScan software yet again to work with the SDRplay API and
scan different bands on a schedule, but at that point it becomes much
more like an Ensemble II or an Afedri USB-HS, with the limitations
imposed by the architecture.  At least it doesn't require a sound card,
unlike the Ensemble, and it is a good deal less expensive than the Afedri.

I'm sort of hanging in to find out what N8VB might have up his sleeve
for a successor to the current QS1R. It has been so successful that it's
hard to imagine his just dropping it, though I imagine that the ADC and
FPGA ICs in the current version must be getting long in the tooth and
perhaps hard to obtain.  We just have to wait and see. In the meantime,
Jeff's Softrock solution isn't a bad idea at all for adding a band or two.

73, Pete N4ZR
Download the new N1MM Logger+ at
<http://N1MM.hamdocs.com>. Check
out the Reverse Beacon Network at