[Skimmertalk] Skimmer Advice (K3 IF issues)

Pat Rundall pat at n0hr.com
Mon Nov 9 22:34:37 EST 2015

Bob,

Thanks for the reply and advice. Exactly what I was seeking.

A few comments...
1) RX Guard on the K3 rx-in/rx-out... The idea here was mainly to protect
the front end of the K3 "just in case" I do something dumb like disconnect
the BPFs late at night and transmit on the same band. Hope I never need it,
but it is insurance. (overkill)

2) A few years ago I'd seen that 1st presentation of yours on the web.
Thanks for providing that and making it available. In fact, I picked up
that Mini-Circuits power splitter you mention on your recommendation and
have used it.

3) My understanding was that my K3/LP-Pan setup had the 24kHz limitation in
Skimmer (using the Softrock-IF setting) and that also limited decoding to
24kHz. I guess I didn't pay attention to the spot frequencies - I had just
noticed that when I used page up or down in Skimmer, the labels disappeared
on the bubbles so I figured that it was only decoding what was on the
waterfall. Also, when recording Skimmer (with Softrock-IF), it only records
24kHz wide. Tonight I put the rig on 7056kHz and waited for spots in
Skimmer - they were all +12/-12 kHz (no spots in the low part of the band
but there was activity), so I don't think it's really decoding in this
mode.

When I view the CWSkimmer bandscope (which I like as well), I only see
24kHz of spectrum.

4) With regard to using the Pixel Loop's Key line as protection... I have
used that, but wondered with SO2R, if I needed to (or even could) connect
both rigs to it.

5) To get the waterfall (ie HDSDR), Skimmer, rig and N1MM+ to all follow
nicely, I wonder if it would work with a virtual serial port splitter tool
like LPB2.

Maybe I should sell the Afedri (which has been a good unit) for a QS1R as
you suggest. However, I see that they are out of stock.

In any case, this sounds like a "Franklin fix" is needed (Santa will need
some bills with Ben Franklin's picture on them to upgrade my shack :).

Thanks again Bob.

73, Pat
N0HR