[Skimmertalk] Skimmer Advice (K3 IF issues)

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Nov 9 20:27:02 EST 2015

It sounds like you want both a waterfall display wideband band scope *and*
local skimmer spot decoding to happen at the same time, on multiple bands,
using your present equipment.

See my online presentation for some ideas, but it sounds like you already
have most of it:

   - Adding a Software Defined Radio (SDR) to an SO2R station
   <http://tinyurl.com/4zama4>
   - Using Waterfall Displays as a Contesting Advantage
   <http://bit.ly/UsingWaterfall2015>

In sum, for fixed Waterfall display, I recommend a passive (or active) RF
splitter on K3 RX IN/OUT line, feeding any SDR and running it with HDSDR or
WinRad as the band scope, instead of CW Skimmer.

For multi-band spot decoding, use SkimmerServer on a multi-band antenna,
such as the Pixel loop or a tribander, and a QS1R (plus telnet to an RBN
node such as VE7CC).

There's no need to use any Rx Guard between the K3 RX ANT Out and SDR
Antenna inputs, because there is never RF output there (other than bleed
through).  Using an Rx Guard does no harm, but it's not needed.  If you
have bandpass filters on the main K3 TX output, there's really no way for
high RF to get to the SDR, unless you have second transmitter on the same
band on an very nearby antenna (which seems unlikely).

Using a Pixel Loop, the loop's power control box can by keyed with your PTT
line on the K3, and that will remove DC from the Pixel preamp every time
you transmit (works OK at QSK speeds).  So again, with that set-up, no need
for an RX Guard on the SDR.

Re. CW Skimmer, it *does* decode all 192 kHz, but you can only *see* about
12 kHz on the Skimmer waterfall at a time, and you can't zoom in our out.
However, you can press the [PageUp] or PageDown] keys while CW Skimmer has
to focus to see the rest of the decoded frequencies.  To see "blips" (no
waterfall) of the *entire* spectrum being decoded, start CW Skimmer and
select View -> Bandscope from the menu (most folks have never tried that
option, but they should).  You can then click on any signal in the band
scope window to retune the SDR to that frequency, instead of pressing
PageUp and PageDown.

Regarding having the cursor on the Waterfall follow your radio's tuning
knob, it's easy to do with contest software the supports OmniRig, since
HDSDR and WinRad also use OmniRig, but that solution will not work with
N1MM+, because N1MM+ does not support OmniRig.

I'd would recommend instead a P3 scope.  Maybe you can treat yourself to
one this Holiday Season. ;-)  Maybe sell one of those extra SDRs to get the
funds for one.

For multi-band spot decoding SimmerServer, you need a QS1R SDR, or one of
the other supported models.  The QS1R is the only one that can decode seven
bands at once.  Or you could dedicate one SDR to each band.