[Skimmertalk] Communication CW Skimmer <=> FT2000 - help needed

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri Feb 6 14:58:54 EST 2015

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 5:31 AM, KD7YZ <kd7yz at denstarfarm.us> wrote:

> heh  heh  .... once upon a time, right after I got the SDR-IQ, I, uh,
> rather  inadvertently,  uh,  hmmmm, DESTROYED the input, due to rather
> extreme overload

This should not be possible unless you connected it to a separate antenna.

> Alex  told  me  that  the  IF was a safe place from which to gather the
> sigs. I've stayed with that.

Yes, but RX ANT OUT is also safe.

> I'd like to try your idea. What port on the rear-apron are you tapping
> from, for the input to SDR-IQ?

See my online presentation (also linked from my QRZ.COM page) for the
details:

   - Adding a Software Defined Radio (SDR) to an SO2R station
   <http://tinyurl.com/4zama4>

But you may not have to do that.  You can fool OmniRig into monitoring and
setting VFO B by editing the *FT-2000.ini* file in the *Rigs* subdirectory
of the CW Skimmer Installation directory, e.g.,

C:\Program Files (x86)\Afreet\OmniRig\Rigs\FT-2000.ini

I've commented out the original lines (with a semicolon) and substituted a
different command, highlighted.

[pmFreqA]
; Command=(FA........;)
Command=(FB........;)
Value=2|8|vfText|1|0
ReplyLength=0

[pmFreqB]
; Command=(FB........;)
Command=(FA........;)
Value=2|8|vfText|1|0
ReplyLength=0

[STATUS2]
;Command=(FA;)
Command=(FB;)
ReplyEnd=(;)
;Validate=(FA........;)
Value1=2|8|vfText|1|0|pmFreqA

[STATUS3]
; Command=(FB;)
Command=(FA;)
ReplyEnd=(;)
;Validate=(FB........;)
Value1=2|8|vfText|1|0|pmFreqB

I have not tested it, and it may have unwanted side effects, so save a copy
of your orignal FT-2000.ini file just in case.

But I also agree with N4ZR that the best solution is to only use VFO A for
TX and VFO B (SubRx) for Receiving the DX.  Then your CW Skimmer scope will
follow your TX frequency.