[Skimmertalk] Skimmer Data Load?

Gary K9GS garyk9gs at wi.rr.com
Mon Aug 3 21:32:02 EDT 2015

Thanks for the reply Ron.

Maybe I should have been clearer what I'm looking for.

I'm thinking of using a cellular hot-spot for portable operation for
CQWW CW.  If I use the hot spot to connect to VE7CC what kind of data
usage am I looking at?

What I don't want to have happen is to find out I have $300 in data
usage for the weekend.

On 8/3/2015 7:51 PM, Ron W7FIA wrote:
>> From: Gary K9GS <garyk9gs at wi.rr.com>
>> Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 19:41:17 -0500
>>
>> Does anyone know what the data usage is from a skimmer source like VE7CC
>> on a heavy weekend like CQWW CW?  This is something I've always wanted
>> to ballpark but I always forget to look before/after the contest?
> Something to guess off of might be the size of the csv file from RBN
> on a contest day, for instance first day of CW WPX on 30 May is 187
> Meg in size and contains 2949875 lines.
>
> So multiply by some estimate of connected users getting that data and
> it easily can get to a few hundred Gig of network traffic.  Best to
> have a land line for that.

Gary K9GS

Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com