[Skimmertalk] Barking up wrong tree ? Flex and CW Skimmer Alignment (again!)

Andrew O'Brien k3ukandy at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 19:11:07 EDT 2013

You may recall a thread a couple of weeks ago about getting the frequency
readout of a Flex radio to match the frequency reported in CW Skimmer.
 I've set up three different Flex radios (one 1500, two 3000's) on 4
different computers following detailed instructions for PowerSDR, Cw
Skimmer, and VAC. I concluded that none were aligned correctly but now I am
wondering if my reference point is what is throwing me off.  If I decode a
CW signal with the new Flex 3000 , the frequency read out of the Flex and
Cw Skimmer are aligned correctly. However, when I check reports on the
reverse beacon network from OTHER stations, the reported signal differs
from my radio substantially.  It seems to me that the reverse beacon folks
are reporting the wrong frequency.  However, I know the RBN folks take
accuracy seriously.

Example  YU6DX is reported by RBN

dxfreqcq/dxsnrspeedtimeDF7GB <http://www.reversebeacon.net/qrz/rbn/DF7GB>
YU6DX <http://www.reversebeacon.net/qrz/rbn/YU6DX>14006.1CW CQ12 dB32 wpm2304z
14 JunON5KQ <http://www.reversebeacon.net/qrz/rbn/ON5KQ>
YU6DX<http://www.reversebeacon.net/qrz/rbn/YU6DX>
14006.0CW CQ20 dB32 wpm2304z 14
JunW4KAZ<http://www.reversebeacon.net/qrz/rbn/W4KAZ>
 YU6DX <http://www.reversebeacon.net/qrz/rbn/YU6DX>14006.0CW CQ36 dB32 wpm2304z
14 Jun

but I am seeing him at 14057 , that is a BIG difference.  If I tune to WWV
at 10 and 15  mHZ, the WWV signal is aligned in both PowerSDR and CW
Skimmer at the correct frequency.

No spur reduction here, running CW-U in PowerSDR.

ANdu K3UK