[Skimmertalk] CW Skimmer/LP Bridge/K3

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Feb 18 18:13:30 EST 2013

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 10:20 AM, paul ecker <eckerpw at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi- I am new to this lest but I had a question for Alex VE3NEA, and he
> suggested I try you guys:
>
> I am running a win 7 64 bit PC, 2.4 ghz processor , 4 gb ram.
> - LP Bridge 1.0.0 communicates fine with K3- so far so good.
> - Interface is Signalink USB and I have that selected on the audio tab in
> Skimmer.
> -  I have CW Skimmer 1.8  on a virtual port 2 in LPB.
> -  I am starting K3, then LPB, then connect K3, then start Skimmer virtual
> port, then start CW Skimmer itself.
> - Problem is there is no VFO readout in Skimmer and it doesn't follow the
> K3 VFO freq changing.
> - I am guessing that  CW Skimmmer work thru Omni-Rig, So I tried giving
> Omni-Rig its own virtual port. But that didn't work in that it seems to use
> whatever port Skimmer does. Change in one and it changes in the other.
>
> -- Guess my real question is where have I messed up, how can I get CW
> Skimmer to show and follow the VFO frequency on the K3?
>
> Tnx and 73
> Paul

I haven't used LP-Bridge, but see

http://www.telepostinc.com/SKIMMER.html

It looks like you have to set the radio type to SoftRock IF, and set the
Audio IF frequency to CW Pitch - 6000 (e.g -5400).

You may also have to set the OmniRig port in CW Skimmer to set "Radio 1" to
the LP-Bridge OUTPUT port, rather than the K3 port, but I'm not sure.

Which choice did you select in CW Skimmer, Settings, Radio tab, under
"Hardware Type"?  If you select "3-kHz Radio" or "Softrock-IF", the "CAT"
tab appears, and CW Skimmer will calculate the display frequency OK, by
querying the transceiver via OmniRig, or maybe it queries the LP-Bridge
"output" port.

For Hardware type "SoftRock" (not Soft-Rock IF), you have to manually enter
the SoftRock's LO frequency in the CW Skimmer Settings to get a proper
frequency displayed in CW Skimmer, and the cursor won't follow the radio.
 You'll need another program such as Win-Test or N1MM (contest loggers) to
feed transceiver frequency data to CW Skimmer via TELNET commands sent to
CW Skimmer's TELNET port.