[Skimmertalk] Beta test of spot quality filtering for RBN spots

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Mon Aug 12 17:34:20 EDT 2013

It's been a busy and rewarding couple of weeks.  Sometimes, I'm quite
overwhelmed by the willingness of hams to invest large amounts of time
and intelligence in advancing our hobby, not for any personal gain but
simply because they care and enjoy what they are doing.

This is one such case. The AR Cluster V6 Telnet server at the RBN has
just been replaced with a beta version that provides quality scores for
each RBN spot, as well as filters enabling users to apply those scores
to limiting the spots they receive. Note that if you don't set any of
the new filters, the node will continue to function as it always has,
except for the addition of a validity code as part of the comment on
each RBN spot.  All existing filters will continue to work as before.The
full story is at
<http://www.ab5k.net/ArcDocsVer6/UserManual/ArcDx_CT1BOH.htm>
<http://www.ab5k.net/ArcDocsVer6/UserManual/ArcDx_CT1BOH.htm>.

Special thanks to CT1BOH, who did extensive analysis of RBN data and
developed the innovative algorithms being used, and to AB5K, for the
hard work of coding and testing the filters for incorporation in this
new version of his cluster software.

While users will see the new tags in spots coming from the RBN ARC6
Telnet server, in order to use the filters the node they are connected
to must be running the beta server software as well.Users can test with
the RBN node at arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000.Node sysops who
want to try the beta are encouraged to contact AB5K.

These are the validity codes:

? - Not yet verified.  The first and/or second identical spot of the
same station, including erroneous spots of callers
V - Valid, meaning that at least three identical spots (call and
frequency) have been posted by Skimmers worldwide
Q - QSY?, meaning that it is the first and/or second spot of a station
on a new frequency, where spots of that station were previously
verified. Sometimes, this will be a legitimate QSY, but the tag may also
indicate an I/Q image of a good spot.
B - Bust, based on whether a new spot is enough like ones already seen
and tagged Valid, except for a difference in the callsign.This is based
on a really clever applied math concept called the Levenshtein distance.
Google for more info.
. - Unique, meaning that there are only one or two stations currently
spotting stations in a given country.  Will often change to V if more
stations spot it, but in the meantime you won't miss that P5 because
only one RBN station heard it.

You can filter so that you get only Valid spots, or so that you can
block all busted spots, or so that you get no Q spots until they are
verified (so I/Q images will not come through).  You can even tell the
cluster node to let through spots with a "." tag, so you don't miss the
really rare one who is only spotted by one or two stations.  Full info
and examples at the URL above.

I do not assume that this is the last word on improving RBN spot
quality.  Beta means beta.  Please experiment, see what you think, and
let me know.  One particularly fruitful line of inquiry would be to
compare the arrival time of unfiltered spots and spots that have been
judged Valid, to note instances when an apparently legitimate spot
doesn't get through or is judged to be a bust, or when a bust is not
caught.

In this connection, in testing we have noticed that sometimes a Busted
call will be mistakenly judged Valid, because there are more busts than
good spots in a time window.  Often, this seems to be due to spacing
errors (RN4ZR for N4ZR), frequent omission of portable designators by
ops (N4ZR instead of P5/N4ZR), and PTT cutting off the first dit (E4ZR
for N4ZR)

Please send your comments/reports to me, and I'll see to their onward
distribution. Do not send them to this reflector!

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.