[Skimmertalk] Fwd: [SECC] FW: [MRRC] Using new filter commands to avoid busted spots

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Thu May 31 04:26:58 PDT 2012

For what it's worth, a couple of comments on Bob's talk.  The "Unique>2"
filter, which I told him about, requires at least 3 (not 2) Skimmers
worldwide to hear a station before it is posted.  There is nothing
sacred about the "2", though - you could change it to >1 or >3,
realizing that each increment will delay your receipt of the spot a little.

Also, setting a fixed XIT amount may not be such a good idea.  Here's
why - the DX cluster network only reports spot frequencies to the
nearest 0.1 KHz.  The DX may actually be heard on 14020.49 or 14020.51,
but it will be spotted in those 2 cases as 14020.4 or 14020.5,
respectively.  If your XIT is set to +0.1 KHZ, then half the time you
will be up to 150 Hz off zero beat.  That's a bit too much to be sure of
being heard.

If a spot goes out on 14020.4, with today's VFOs, anyone who jumps on
that spot is likely to be within a few Hz of the rounded frequency.
Meanwhile, the DX may be up to 49 Hz higher or lower.  The Skimmer
pileup is on the spot frequency, not the DX's frequency.  I know that
these sound like small differences in frequency, but they can be important.

What I do, instead, is to tweak the VFO a little while I'm verifying the
station's callsign, to center it a little better in my filter passband.
That has the same effect of getting me away from the Skimmer pileup,
plus it probably centers me better in the DX's filter.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000