[Skimmertalk] Active Antenna

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Sun Mar 18 02:37:22 PDT 2012

FWIW, I have been very satisfied with the Clifton whip.  Jack Smith,
K8ZOA, who *is* Clifton Labs, is an excellent RF engineer, and is
particularly attentive to low frequency performance by all of his stuff,
far beyond anything we need for 160.  His Norton preamps are
specifically designed for excellent IMD performance with moderate gain.
That said, an 8-foot active whip, with its omni pattern, will never be a
good 160M antenna.

In my experience the QS1R is definitely lacking in front-end gain at 21
MHz and above, so the preamp is a useful addition.  In my setup, I run
the preamp all the time, with a Clifton high-pass filter to take care of
a whoppingly strong local AM broadcast station at 1550 KHz.  That
combination is noticeably better than my K3 in rejecting an image from
that station on 1825.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000