[Skimmertalk] Skimmer with N1MM

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Sun Mar 11 03:45:30 PDT 2012

Hi Deni - The basic reason for receiving spots from other Skimmers is to
provide redundancy and to help avoid busted spots from your single
Skimmer.  For example, I use the following filter string with ARCluster
V6, either from the RBN or from a cluster node that feeds both
traditional and RBN spots, like K1TTT.NET.

  SET DX FILTER call=n4zr OR (SKIMMER AND UNIQUE>2)  and
(spotterstate=md OR spotterstate=pa OR spotterstate=va OR spotterstate=WV)

This does several things.  First, it tells me if *I* have been spotted
anywhere in the world, then it looks at each incoming spot, and tells
the cluster not to send it to me unless the station has been spotted by
at least 3 stations.  That helps me to avoid busts by one or even two
stations.  Even with an error rate below 1 percent, when you have >70
Skimmers active they happen fairly often.

Then, if it passes that test, the filter only sends it to me if the
spotter is in one of several states near my own, so that I can probably
hear the spotted station.  I have two buttons set up in my packet window
- one with this filter and another with the simple command SET DX
Filter, which opens my filter wide open to receive all spots worldwide.

An explanation of how to build such compound filters can be found at
<http://ab5k.net/ArcDocsVer6/UserManual/ArcDx.htm#SetDxFilter>.  You
could set it only to pass on spots from nearby countries, for example.

I hope this is helpful.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000