[Skimmertalk] Probhlem of mine with FTDX-5000 and CW Skimmer

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Jun 4 16:47:18 PDT 2012

Which software are you using to talk to your radio?  Just CW Skimmer?
 Which SDR, Softrock-IF?

CW Skimmer by itself does not, unfortunately, support "click to tune" for
your transceiver.  That is, even though it has OmniRig CAT control
 built-in, it will *not* move your transceiver to a clicked frequency.  The
only exception is when it is used in 3 kHz Audio mode, which is only for
demo. purposes, and is not very useful.

>From the CW Skimmer Help Text:

"Even though CAT control is not used in the SoftRock mode, it is still
enabled and monitors the frequency changes. If you want another program to
control your radio, you need to disable CAT control in CW Skimmer by
selecting NONE in the Rig Type box, or by choosing Radio 2 that has
NONEselected."

When you click on a waterfall frequency in CW Skimmer, it "Announces" that
click via the telnet server, "Clicked on 14027.3".  Contest logging
software can than read that "announce" message, and move your transceiver
to that frequency.  So it is up to 3rd party software, not CW Skimmer, to
move your FTDX-5000 transceiver to the right frequency.

Most use CW Skimmer to fill the logging program band map with callsigns,
then they click on the band map to move the transceiver.  You can also use
VE3NEA's BandMaster program to do the same thing, without needing a logging
program.

http://dxatlas.com/BandMaster/

But if you want a program that lets you click on a waterfall and move your
FTDX-5000 to an unidentified signal, like you can with a FlexRadio, I don't
know which programs support that well.  RigSync was supposed to do it, but
I could not get it to work reliably.

http://www.ehr.net/w2rf/download/QuickStart%20Guide%20to%20Using%20RigSync%20with%20CW%20Skimmer.pdf

I think N1MM logger supports click-to-tune via Telnet Announcements, but I
don't know of any others.

What is the "N4ZR method" to which you refer?  Where is that documented?